Job Description: Business Manager
Responsible for: Administration, Food & Hygiene Manager, Volunteers
Reports to: Manager
Based at: Colchester Night Shelter
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week. Monday-Friday
The Business Manager (BM) will implement the aims, objectives and overarching philosophy of the Shelter. This offers direct access short term accommodation to homeless people over 18 years of age. The aim is to accept everyone as a valuable individual, with needs as well as talents, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental impairment, political, cultural or religious outlook
The Shelter reflects its belief that people can learn from their mistakes and see the opportunities for learning and changing
Purpose of the Job
- To assist in developing the strategic direction of the organisation, in association with the Manager and the Board of Trustees.
- To assist in maintaining and enhancing the capacity of existing services and develop additional services to meet local need.
- To monitor and review the effectiveness of service provision working closely with both the Manager and Housing Manager.
- In association with the Manager and Treasurer, prepare the organisation’s annual budget and report management accounts to the Trustee Board on a regular basis.
- Ensure the effective administration of the organisation’s resources.
- Assist in maintaining and developing all the organisation’s policies and procedures and be responsible for the recruitment of staff and volunteers, developing good HR practices to meet the organisation’s need.
- Support the Trustee Board in fulfilling its governance role.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Manager and The Trustees in the preparation of an annual business plan for the organisation, with budgets and outcomes, to support the Night Shelter and any planned projects
- Review existing service provision and identify areas for improvement, growth or complementary service developments
- Keep up to date with national and local policy developments.
- Develop funding proposals to maximise service delivery for homeless people either independently or in partnership with other agencies..
- Monitor and report performance information to external funders and statistical information as and when required.
- Assist in the Preparation of proposals for new service development
- Represent the organisation as required in the development of collaborative services
- Promote Colchester Night Shelter to the local community and use local newspapers and media to advertise events and services.
- Maintain and develop the organisation’s policies and procedures to meet all statutory and organisational needs
- Ensure that policies are updated regularly, are approved by the Board, and are available to all staff and volunteers
- Organise training for staff, volunteers and Trustees to ensure understanding of the organisation’s policies and procedures; including safeguarding, health and safety, complaints, code of conduct and confidentiality.
Cost and budget management
- Working with the administrator and Manager ensure that monthly analysis of cashflow, month end balances and finance management reports are prepared in association with the Treasurer, for the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure the payroll is prepared in a timely manner on a monthly basis
- Regularly review all client service charge accounts and Housing Benefit payments
- Help to develop a fundraising strategy
- Manage and control the maintenance and servicing of the Night Shelter including all Health and Safety aspects affecting staff/clients and volunteers
Human resource management
- Be responsible for the recruitment and induction of staff and volunteers to best meet the needs of the organisation.
- Periodically review all the organisation’s job descriptions
- Ensure safe, fair and responsible working practices through the implementation of the organisation’s policies and procedures
- Ensure that trustees meet their obligations through the development of a regular cycle of Board meetings including an AGM
- Ensure that business is conducted in line with the organisation’s constitution/Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Alert trustees to key policy issues and associated training opportunities to ensure effective governance of Colchester Night Shelter
- Assist the Treasurer with the preparation of the Trustees’ Annual Report and Account
- Ensure that all Charity Commission and Companies House reporting requirements are fulfilled
Undertake any other duties as directed by the Board that contributes to the success of Colchester Night Shelter
· Good level of education and/or training
· Diploma level or equivalent experience in business administration/management
Aptitude & Skills
· Effective Communication, including good interpersonal skills, a non-judgmental attitude, and listening skills
· Numerate with good report writing skills
· The ability to work as a team manager and cooperatively with others
· The ability to work enthusiastically and creatively on own initiative
· Excellent organisational and administrative skills
· Competent use of Microsoft Office and Case Management Systems
· Knowledge of statutory and voluntary organisations
· A local knowledge of agencies, organisations, services and activities relating to homeless people
· Understanding of organisational policies and procedures and statutory requirements
· Understanding of business and service planning, fund raising and budgeting
· Knowledge of personnel practise and procedures
· Understanding of good governance, Charity Commission and Companies House requirements
· Experience of working in a Charitable, Public or Private Sector setting in a similar capacity for at least 3 years
· Experience of working with homeless people
· Experience of working at Board level with trustees or equivalent.
Degree/NVQ level3/4 in Business Administration or Diploma in Management